Click on the links below to jump to each section:
- WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT AND FOR WHAT PURPOSE?
- Information You Provide to Us Directly
Personal Information: When we use the term “personal information,” we mean any information that can be used to identify you, directly or indirectly, as an individual person.
We collect and use personal information you provide in the following ways:
- Account Registration and Profile Information. We collect personal and/or business information that you provide when you register for an account to use our Service. Depending on your account type, this may include your name, email, billing and payment card information, demographic information and password. Once you create an account, you may also be able to create a profile that may be visible to other users on the Service. For information on how to adjust profile visibility settings, please see “Control Over Your Information” section below. We use this information to administer your account, provide you with the relevant services and information, communicate with you regarding your account, the Service, and for customer support purposes.
- Messages and User Content. Depending on your account type, you may upload or transmit videos, images, data, or information through your communications with us, your communications with other users, or your use of the Service (collectively, “User Content”). User Content and any information contained in the User Content, including personal information you may have included, is stored and collected as part of the Service. We use the User Content to operate, improve, personalize, and optimize the Service, and to manage and deliver advertising.
- Inquiries and Other Communications. If you communicate with us through any form, we may collect your name, email address, mailing address, phone number, or any other personal information you choose to provide to us. We use this information to investigate and respond to your inquiries, and to communicate with you, to enhance the services we offer to our users and to manage and grow our organization.
We use various technologies to automatically collect certain personal information about the device or browser you use to navigate our Service, including:
- Web Logs. Our web servers keep log files that record data every time a device accesses those servers. As such, when you access this Website, we will automatically collect information such as your browser type and version, device and connection information, the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the Internet, and standard web log information.
- Location Information. We may collect general geographic location based on your IP address or more precise geolocation with your permission when accessing our online services through a mobile device.
- Cookies and Pixel Tags. We, and our third-party partners, automatically collect certain types of usage information when you visit our Service, read our emails, or otherwise engage with us. We typically collect this information through a variety of tracking technologies, including cookies, web beacons, embedded scripts, location-identifying technologies, file information, and similar technology (collectively, “tracking technologies”). For example, we collect information about your device and its software, such as your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, platform type, device type, operating system, date and time stamp, a unique ID (that allows us to uniquely identify your browser, mobile device, or your account), and other such information. We also collect information about the way you use our Service, for example, the site from which you came and the site to which you are going when you leave our website, the pages you visit, the links you click, how frequently you access the Service, whether you open emails or click the links contained in emails, and other actions you take on the Service. Most internet browsers allow you to remove or manage cookie functions and adjust your privacy and security preferences. For information on how to do this, access the “help” menu on your internet browser, or access http://www.aboutcookies.org/how-to-control-cookies. Please note, however, that disabling our cookies may mean that you will not be able to take full advantage of the Service.
- Mobile Device Identifiers. When you access our Service from a mobile device, we may collect unique identification numbers associated with your device or our mobile application (including, for example, a UDID, Unique ID for Advertisers (“IDFA”), or Google AdID), mobile carrier, device type, model and manufacturer, mobile device operating system brand and model, phone number, and, depending on your mobile device settings, your geographical location data (with your permission). We may also be able to approximate a device’s location by analyzing other information, like an IP address.
We use or may use the data collected through these technologies to: (a) remember information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the site; (b) provide custom, personalized content and information, including targeted content and advertising (see “Third Party Tracking and Online Advertising” below); (c) recognize and contact you across multiple devices; (d) provide and monitor the effectiveness of our Service; (e) monitor aggregate metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, usage, and demographic patterns on our Service; (f) diagnose or fix technology problems; and (g) otherwise to plan for and enhance our Service.
If you would prefer not to accept cookies, most browsers will allow you to: (i) change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable exis ting cookies; or (iii) set your browser to automatically reject cookies. Please note that doing so may negatively impact your experience using the Service, as some features and services on our Service may not work properly. Depending on your mobile device and operating system, you may not be able to delete or block all cookies. You may also set your email options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow us to know whether you have accessed our email and performed certain functions with it.
We may receive personal information about you from third parties and combine this information with other information we have.
- Single Sign-On. We may use single sign-on (“SSO”) to allow a user to authenticate their account using one set of login information, including through Google and LinkedIn. We will have access to certain information from those third parties in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by those third parties, which may include, for example, your name, username, email address, language preference, and profile picture. We use this information to operate, maintain, and provide to you the features and functionality of the Service. We may also send you service-related emails or messages (e.g., account verification, customer support, changes, or updates to features of the Site, technical and security notices).
- Social Media. When an individual interacts with our Services through various social media networks, such as when someone “Likes” us on Facebook or follows us or shares our content on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, or other social networks, we may receive some information about individuals that they permit the social network to share with third parties. The data we receive is dependent upon an individual’s privacy settings with the social network, and may include your profile information, profile picture, gender, username, user ID associated with your social media account, age range, language, country, and any other information you permit the social network to share with third parties. Individuals should always review and, if necessary, adjust their privacy settings on third-party websites and social media networks and services before sharing information and/or linking or connecting them to other services. We use this information to operate, maintain, and provide to you the features and functionality of the Service, as well as to communicate directly with you, such as to send you email messages about products and services that may be of interest to you.
- Information We Receive from Third-Party Platforms/Services You Connect to Our Service. We may receive personal information about you or information about your business from third parties and combine that with information we collect through our Service. For example, if you choose to connect your business account to a third-party service (via API), such as banking services, we may collect information about you and your business, including your profile information, and any other information collected by the platform. The data we receive from these third-party sites is dependent upon that third party’s policies. The data we receive from third-party sites is dependent upon the third party’s policies and your privacy settings on that third-party site. You should always review and, if necessary, adjust your privacy settings on third-party websites and services before linking or connecting them to our website or Service.
- Set up your account and deliver the Service to you;
- Send you transactional information, including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, product and services information, updates, security alerts, support and administrative messages, and information about your transaction with us;
- Communicate with you such as to respond to your comments and questions, provide customer service or feedback, or respond to employment opportunities for which you’ve applied, or for any other purposes in connection with the Service;
- Provide you with news about products and services offered by us;
- Operate, maintain, test, enhance, update, monitor, diagnose, fix and improve our Service;
- Conduct research and analytics to understand our visitors and customers, and tailor our product offerings;
- Provide you with advertisements based on, for example, your interests, your business stage or journey, general location and order history;
- Prevent, investigate or provide notice of fraud or unlawful or criminal activity, unauthorized access to or use of personal information, our data system services, and to meet governmental and institutional policy obligations;
- Enforce and carry out contracts and agreements with our customers;
- Investigate and resolve disputes and security issues and to enforce our Terms of Service;
- Comply with legal obligations; and
- For any other lawful, legitimate business purpose.
We may share your personal information in the instances described below. For further information on your choices regarding your information, see the “Control Over Your Information” section below.
We may share your personal information with:
- Other Users of the Service at Your Request/Direction. If you register for an account and engage on the StartupOS platform, you may choose to connect with another user on the Service and share, at your request and direction, certain profile and company information (e.g., username, profile photo, job title and other work-related information and content, your approximate location, links to your profiles on various social networks, and other preferences and information) and any other information and other content you provide about your business. You have control over certain information that is visible to others when you connect with them on the Service. For more information on these controls and settings, please see the Control Over Your Information section.
- Sponsors. With your permission and at your direction, we may also share information about you or your business with StartupOS Sponsors, including certain profile and company information (e.g., username, job title, company name, company stage, venture score, and your approximate location). You may change your sharing permissions at any time through your user account setting page.
- Service Providers. We may share personal information with third-party service providers that perform services on our behalf, as needed to carry out their work for us, which may include identifying and serving targeted advertisements, providing mailing services, payment processors, providing tax and accounting services, web hosting, or providing analytic services.
- Consent. We may disclose personal information with any other entity disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or with your consent or at your direction, for example if you direct us to share your personal information with an investor or mentor on our platform.
- Business Transfers. We may disclose personal information with other parties in connection with a company transaction, such as a merger, sale of company assets or shares, reorganization, financing, change of control or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company or third party, or in the event of a bankruptcy or related or similar proceedings.
- Regulatory or Legal Requirements, Safety and Terms Enforcement. We may disclose personal information to third parties as required by law or subpoena or if we reasonably believe that such action is necessary to (a) comply with the law and the reasonable requests of law enforcement; (b) to enforce our Terms of Service or to protect the security or integrity of our Service; and/or (c) to exercise or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of StartupOS, our visitors, or others. We may also disclose personal information to governmental regulatory authorities as required by law, including for tax or accounting purposes, in response to their requests for such information or to assist in investigations.
We may also use and share information with others in de-identified, aggregated or otherwise anonymized form that does not reasonably identify you directly as an individual.
We participate in interest-based advertising and use third-party advertising companies to serve you targeted advertisements based on your online browsing history and your interests. We permit third-party online advertising networks, social media companies, and other third-party services to collect information about your use of our Service over time so that they may play or display ads on our Service, on other websites, apps, or services you may use, and on other devices you may use. Typically, though not always, the information used for interest-based advertising is collected through cookies or similar tracking technologies. We may share a common account identifier (such as an e-mail address or user ID) or hashed data with our third-party advertising partners to help identify you across devices. We and our third-party partners use this information to make the advertisements you see online more relevant to your interests, as well as to provide advertising-related services such as reporting, attribution, analytics, and market research.
To learn more about interest-based advertising and how you may be able to opt out of some of this advertising, you may wish to visit the Digital Advertising Alliance’s (DAA) resources and/or the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”)’s online resources, at http://www.aboutads.info/choices or http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices, and you can opt out of receiving some interest-based advertisements on mobile apps by visiting http://www.aboutads.info/appchoices. You may also be able to limit interest-based advertising through the settings menu on your mobile device by turning off “personalized ads” (iOS) or selecting “opt-out of interest-based ads” (Android). You may also be able to opt out of some – but not all – interest-based advertising served by mobile ad networks by visiting http://youradchoices.com/appchoices and downloading the mobile AppChoices app.
Please note that some advertising opt-outs may not be effective unless your browser is set to accept cookies. Furthermore, if you use a different device, change browsers, or delete the opt-out cookies, you may need to perform the opt-out task again.
Google Analytics and Advertising. We use Google Analytics to recognize you and link the devices you use when you visit our site or Service on your browser, log in to your account on our Service, or otherwise engage with us. We share a unique identifier, like a user ID or hashed e-mail address, with Google to facilitate the service. Google Analytics allows us to better understand how our users interact with our Service and to tailor our advertisements and content to you. For information on how Google Analytics collects and processes data, as well as how you can control information sent to Google, review Google's site “How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps” located at www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. You can learn about Google Analytics’ currently available opt-outs, including the Google Analytics Browser Ad-On here https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
We may also utilize certain forms of display advertising and other advanced features through Google Analytics, such as Remarketing with Google Analytics, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, the DoubleClick Campaign Manager Integration, and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. These features enable us to use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick advertising cookie) or other third-party cookies together to inform, optimize, and display ads based on your past visits to the Service. You may control your advertising preferences or opt out of certain Google advertising products by visiting the Google Ads Preferences Manager, currently available at https://google.com/ads/preferences, or by visiting NAI’s online resources at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices.
Modifying Account Information. If you have an account for our Service, you have the ability to modify certain information in your account, including your contact information, audio or video session recordings, as well as what information about you or your company is visible to other users at your request, through the account setting page or a similar option provided on the Service. If you have any questions about modifying or updating any information in your account, please contact us at email@example.com.
How to Control Your Email Communications Preferences. You can stop receiving promotional email communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe link” provided in such communications. We make every effort to promptly process all unsubscribe requests. You may not opt out of service-related communications (e.g., account verification, transactional communications, changes/updates to features of the Service, technical and security notices).
StartupOS does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13 on this Service. In the event that we learn that we have inadvertently collected personal information from a child under age 13, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
StartupsOS uses reasonable administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect the privacy of personal information. You have a shared responsibility to keep your personal information safe. You should use a device password, an updated and supported browser, install the latest security updates and anti-virus software on your device, and, if you create an account, choose a unique and strong password.
StartupOS is based in the United States. StartupOS Sponsors and service providers may be located in other jurisdictions. Personal information is processed in the United States and in other countries in which our service providers are located. With your consent, personal information may be disclosed to StartupOS Sponsors in other jurisdictions than where you are located. We cannot guarantee that the privacy protections in the countries to which your personal information is transferred will be as protective as the jurisdiction in which you reside.
The Service may contain links to and from third-party websites of our business partners, advertisers, and social media sites and our users may post links to third-party websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies. We strongly recommend that you read their privacy policies and terms and conditions of use to understand how they collect, use, and share information. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content on the websites of third-party sites.
If you are a resident of Canada, you may be able to exercise certain rights with respect to your personal information that we collect and control:
- Access. You may ask us in writing whether we have collected personal information about you and to obtain access to that personal information.
- Correction. If you believe the personal information we have about you is inaccurate or incomplete, you can ask us to correct it.
- Deletion. We will delete personal information when we no longer have a lawful basis to retain it. You can ask us to delete personal information that you believe we no longer are required to retain.
- Withdrawal of Consent. You can ask us to stop further collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. If you make this request, we may no longer be able to provide you with services. We may still retain your personal information if we have a lawful basis to retain it.
To exercise these rights, please contact us. See How to Contact Us.